Worldwide, Lions clubs are recognized for their service to the blind and visually impaired. This service began when Helen Keller challenged Lions to become “knights of the blind in the crusade against darkness” during the 1925 Lions Clubs International Convention which was held right here in Ohio at Cedar Point. Click Here to download the entire Helen Keller speech!
As Westerville Lions, we are especially dedicated to helping preserve good vision. We also provide many services to the vision impaired and to the blind.
- Providing vision testing equipment to all public, private and parochial schools in our area so all children receive free eye tests
- Collecting eyeglasses and provide them free to people unable to afford glasses
- Offering free glaucoma testing to the public
- Offering free cataract removal surgery to the needy
- Providing Pilot Dogs to the Blind
- Providing Christmas food packages for the needy
- Scholarships to the Westerville High schools
- Supporting & interacting with the Westerville community in many other ways…
We serve to reduce the prevalence of diabetes and improve quality of life for those diagnosed.
We serve to prevent avoidable blindness and improve quality of life for people who are blind and visually impaired.
We serve to ensure all community members have access to nutritious foods.
We serve to sustainably protect and restore our environment to improve the well-being of all communities.
Lions and Leos provide support for the needs of children and families affected by childhood cancer through impactful service activities.
Who We Support
- Central Ohio Lions Eye Bank
- News Reel
- Ohio Lions Eye Research Foundation
- Girls/Boys State
- Central Ohio Diabetes Association
- Eye Exams and Glasses for Local School Children
- Ohio State School for the Blind
- Westerville Caring & Sharing
- Lions Clubs International Foundation
- Lions Pilot Dogs
- Ohio Lions Foundation Eye Care Fund
- Lions Sensory Garden
- Ohio Lions Foundation
- Westerville High Schools Scholarships
- Other Ohio Lions Clubs
- Student VOSH (Volunteer Optometric Services to Humanity)
- Ohio Lions Pediatric Cancer Foundation
- Camp Echoing Hills
- Westerville Special Olympics